Sunday, April 21, 2013

Feeling the Spirit

Hi there Caleboo!
We had a cool experience today.  After church, we put you down for a nap.  I really like talking with you and watching as your vocabulary grows so much.  I asked you what you learned about in nursery today.  For the record, your response, all by itself, was absolutely amazing and showed what a bright little boy you are and how tender your spirit is to truth.

"That Jesus has a body, a physical body.  and he has a spiritual one inside"

Really?  Did my barely 3 year old just say that?  Need I mention your near perfect diction?  What a great lesson you learned from your nursery leaders.

So I realized that this was a perfect opportunity to reinforce the lesson and help you recognize the Spirit.  Teaching moment! Here's how it was supposed to go, or how I envisioned it going -

Me: "Wow, Caleboo, what a great lesson! How does it make you feel to know that?"
You: "Happy"
Me: "Those happy feelings come from the Spirit telling you what you learned is true"
You: "Thanks Dad, you're an amazing teacher.  I've learned so much!"
Then we'd have a big hug, and you'd quietly drift off to sleep

Here's how it actually went -

Me: "Wow, Caleboo, what a great lesson! How does it make you feel to know that?"
You: "Sad"
Me: "uhm, Sad? or Happy?"
You: "Sad"
Me: "It makes you feel sad to think about Jesus like that?"
You: "Yeah"
Me: (Oh no! my teaching moment is unraveling! Mayday, Mayday!....Wait, I wonder why he's saying "sad") "Why does it make you feel sad?"
You: Because he's not here with us.

Here I was thinking about teaching you to feel the spirit, and you were so close to the spirit that you longed to be with Jesus.  So, I was right about it being a teaching moment, but it was you doing the teaching :)

Thanks for having such a strong spirit.  I love you kiddo.
Love, Daddydoo

No comments:

Post a Comment