Tuesday, April 23, 2013

So You're Inheriting An Apple Orchard...

Dear Kiddos,

It can be hard to look into the eyes of your children, and know where they'll be in 10, 20, 30 years.  I think the reason it is hard for me is because the options ahead of you are literally limitless.  You can do ANYthing.  Sports, education, emotional or spiritual growth, occupation...you could do anything.  Nothing is out of reach for you.  One of the reasons is because at your age, and with the smarts you three have, and the work ethic, you could become whoever you wanted.

At our 10 year anniversary dinner, your Mom and I wrote down who we wanted to be in 10 years, with the hope that we could overcome weaknesses and challenges to become who we wanted, and with a focus on that for ten years we could surely do it!

So let's shift gears to the hypothetical.  Let's say that you had been told that when you turned 30 you would inherit an apple orchard.  Let's also so that you were told that the apple orchard would be the best apple orchard, and would be your key to success and happiness if you took proper care of it.  What would you do between now and then?  Maybe learn about apple trees? Pruning? possible tree infections and remedies?  Maybe you'd plant a few trees and practice caring for them so you were better prepared?  Maybe even study apple market share, or develop relationships with produce purchasers to understand how they make their decisions.  You could be come an expert in all things related if you had enough time and enough foresight.

That was the analogy I thought of during the adult session of Stake Conference a few weeks ago.  I was listening to a talk and it hit me.  At the end of this life, and after the resurrection, you will be a god, and with Carrie by your side, you'll have countless spirit children.  You'll have to know how to love them and teach them and respect their agency whether they choose good or evil, whether they love you or hate you.  Knowing that, what should you do?

Could I really do that, given enough time and foresight?  I know you kids could.  I know your Mom could.  But could I? And how would knowing that affect what I try to do and who I try to become in this life?  I've learned so much from you kids these last 3 years, and while I'm grateful, I also feel bad that you are my "practice trees";  Here to help me learn how to be a good parent. But I think you three and Mom and I agreed before we came down here to Earth that no matter where we were placed on this Earth, we would find each other, and we'd stick with each other, and we'd work together to help all of us overcome our weakness and become our best selves, and return again rejoicing.

That's hard to stay focused on every day, but I know that we have the vision, we have the foresight, and we have the time.  So I know we can do it by babystepping along and working each week to be a little better, a little more patient, a little more loving, a little more faithful, prayerful, and kind than the week before.

Love,
Daddydoo

No comments:

Post a Comment