Sunday, April 21, 2013

Kiss it better

Noahroo
I imagine you know this already, but you are one tough kid.  You are only two and a half and you are all muscle.  Not only are you tough because you are all muscly, but you are tough because you can fall and smack something (and often do) and go right back to playing without skipping a beat.  Your Mom and I will just look at each other and wonder how that just happened.

But you can also barely bump something and burst into tears and come running over to us, crying "Kiss it better".  Sometimes I've responded with a "you're not hurt" or "be tough!", to which you just your chin out, lower your head and look at me like I'm totally missing the point....because I am.

When you ask me to kiss it better, and I swoop you up, acknowledge that you fell, and give you kiss, you invariably, even when you really smacked yourself, are able to recover and go play.  I used to think that was proof that you hadn't really hurt yourself, but now I think it means that listening, sympathizing, and caring are NOT placebo's.  I think they actually work to remove pain and encourage us along.

You are young, but you are already a very sympathetic little boy, and clearly full of love.  I hope you'll take the time to listen to someone's concerns, even if they seem to you to be insignificant or unnecessary.  If they are crying, it is a big deal to them, and you can be the one to listen, sympathize, care, and encourage them to feel better.

Love,
Daddydoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment